Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why you should change the Bull Gear on a 60 Series Detroit at 850k!

Title says it all. I had plans to take the truck in to get an overhead, mains spun in and the noise in the accessory drive looked at. I guess next week wasn't soon enough, got lucky and didn't take the motor out but still cost $4k to get fixed. Messed up every gear that the bull gear comes into contact with. It is a good week to be a truck owner. Enjoy the carnage. As a bonus its Friday and had to next day parts for Monday to have the truck back on the road by Tuesday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 12
    If I'm not mistaken that's probably not the first one of these in this motor. I was under the impression that those should be changed somewhere short of 500k.

I know its bad news, but there are a couple of positives to cling to...

a) I've heard of these take out a ton of other stuff when they go... yours didn't.
    b) ...and now you know what they sound like so the next time you'll know exactly what that "accessory" noise is.

>>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<<<>>>>>
    Make a liar out of me...
    >>>>>>>It's SO easy...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Send me a check...

Thumbs Up
    Everyone I talked to including DD themselves said by 850k. I figured there was a bearing lose on the accessory drive, guess it was a little worse. Hopefully won't own this truck the next time it needs to be changed.

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 12
    Yeah, but you MAY own another Detroit someday...

Make a liar out of me...
    >>>>>>>It's SO easy...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Send me a check...

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 6
    tell me more about this sound you were hearing??? im at about 825k on my detroit, and i hear a sound like a bearing on a belt tensioner or something going bad, but cant find anything. Is this the type of noise youre talking about?

CGT Inc. is a Dexter Axle service provider. Parts, labor, complete axle beams. Call for a quote. Full service wiring for trucks and trailers, featuring Maxxima lighting products. Service for electric brakes, air brakes, trucks and trailers. A/C recharging and leak detection. Member NATM

Thumbs Up
    That is the exact sound I'm talking about a bad bearing. I thought it was the a\c pump, so I replaced it (it was bad but didn't take care of the noise). I then thought it was the accessory drive unit and was scheduled to take it in next week because it was getting worse. If I were you I'd get it looked at because if they catch it early enough, its about $2600 because all that needs to be replaced is the bull gear ($700 for the gear and $1900 for labor) if not it can take all the gears out or worse the whole motor (I got extremely lucky). I new you had the 60 in your truck and that's why I posted this info.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 24
    Man I hate seeing that. $4k out the door sucks.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    I just hit 800,000 on mine last week....................cosgo take all the belts off the motor and start it if you still have a sound thats what it will be. I had a noise a few weeks ago it was just the alternator and just changed the idler tensioner pulley while i was there I like the way they taper the bearing and make you buy the whole tensioner just $120 and fixed the alternator for $180 hope thats what it is

Thumbs Up
    bad news..... trucks running just fine, but the noise is still there. its going in the shop tomorrow to get a check up. man, im actually a little worried. i havent had to do anything to this truck in over 400k!!!! guess its time to spend some money LOL.

thanks for the heads up tosch!

CGT Inc. is a Dexter Axle service provider. Parts, labor, complete axle beams. Call for a quote. Full service wiring for trucks and trailers, featuring Maxxima lighting products. Service for electric brakes, air brakes, trucks and trailers. A/C recharging and leak detection. Member NATM

Thumbs Up
    Well, took the truck in and told them to go over it head to toe, lets do whatever needs to be done. Good news, bull gear is great, bad news, I had to replace a radiator, egr, and a bunch of filters (needed a PM anyway). I had all injectors pulled and tested, and cylinder compression tested (cost about $400 for tests??) Everything came back good with a warning about the start of low compression on one cylinder. Nothing to be alarmed about at the moment, truck is running great, injectors are perfect, oil is clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast