Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question Make Money in RV Transport (???)

Newbie here - This is a great forum, hopefully you all can offer your info/opinions/ideas.

I am putting togther some math on transporting rv's - single pulls with a 1 ton truck.

Considering all expenses - fuel, maintenance allowance, repair allowance, truck payment, meals.... etc) - I have a question about really making money doing this.

What is your net profit on the average trip? (in other words, if you only spent money on the trip and your truck allowance - what percentage of the gross amount would you have at the end of a trip?)

Some people swear that you can't make money. Others swear that they almost always make money. If you are one that almost always makes money, what do you think is the difference?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 6
    there are many more experienced people on here than me that can answer this question, but i pose a few queries for you: what is your truck payment? how old is it? what kind of work is out there? how steady is it? those are some variables that are going to drastically change that percentage you are looking for. i suspect most of your answers are going to based around your personal break even point (every ones is different) good luck

CGT Inc. is a Dexter Axle service provider. Parts, labor, complete axle beams. Call for a quote. Full service wiring for trucks and trailers, featuring Maxxima lighting products. Service for electric brakes, air brakes, trucks and trailers. A/C recharging and leak detection. Member NATM

Thumbs Up

Exclamation

Good questions cosgo.

I guess my question is a result of three things:

1. People in RV Transport (or recently removed) who say there is no way to make money
    2. Poeple who have been in RV Transport for several years who are making it (disproving people in #1)
    3. People who want to get into RV Transport who are investigating the prospects - if they talk to #1 person they don't get in, if they talk to #2 person then they do get in.

Seems like there should be some way to not just determine if you can make money, but HOW to do it.

For someone who is getting into this and buying the equipment to fit the job (per much advise) the answers to your truck questions would most likely be no truck payments until I figure out how much money can be made to see if I want to do it.

I've heard a net pocket pay of 45% to 55% on most loads, which I guess helps me back into what I can pay for a truck.

That's a wide range and may have to do with things like truck payments, age of truck (repairs / maintenance) like in your post.

So I guess the first level is to determine who is making it work and what they are doing to make it work.

(Thanks cosgo)

Long Vacation
    Thumbs Up
    I've got quick question...... Why is it that if you are up there in the Elkhart Indiana area, the Mecca for RV Transporters, that you're here on the internet searching for real answers to your questions. I mean you're there in the CAPITOL world of RV Haulers.

Want real true answers, do as the Expediters say to do when wanna be drivers are wanting answers to questions. Go visit the drivers in person. Run over to the WalMart there just west of 19 on CR 6. There's always 5-10 drivers hanging out in the parking lot. Stop at that Buffet Place there across the street, around dinner time that place is packed with RV Transporters. Get up at 6-6:30am and run over to the Super 8 there on 19 just north of CR 6. Around 7am the guys are usually out there warming their trucks up, drinking coffee, smoking and joking, and getting ready for the day. Same at Red Roof Inn across the street. Swing by The Dually Depot there a few blocks west of the WalMart during the day and you'll find drivers there too. Go to the RV Transport companies themselves. Indiana Transport is right there in south Elkhart on 19 just north of 20. Swing over to the WalMart in Goshen. Lots of Quality and Star Fleet drivers hang out there in that parking lot. The Super 8 and Goshen Inn just south of that WalMart is usually packed with drivers. That chinese food place down from WalMart in Goshen is also a drivers hangout. Just Ideas, that's all. You have more access to real time drivers than let's say, someone from San Diego would have. Know what I mean.

I traced a couple of discussions you are having online last night. You're going to get about the same results here as you have been elsewhere. 2 out 10 people who respond will say "Yes" they are making/made decent money doing it, the other 8 will say it's all BS. (so far I think maybe 2 people on those other sites have said "Yes, it's a great job!!" Right?? While all the other responses you're reading are saying "DON'T DO IT!!!" Again, Right??)

We have a member here that will tell you how to do it right to make money. He's probably one of our most experienced RV Haulers we have here. Yes, he made good money doing it, but a lived a lifestyle on the road that would probably wear the hell out of most guys. I'm a wimp and could never live a life on the road as he did. My time on the road?? Well, let's just say I saw a lot of the country I'd never seen before. Had all my traveling expenses paid for, but not my truck. That I paid for out of my own pocket.(my truck) Did I ever show a profit?? Nope. Will I ever do it again?? Again, Nope. Well..............Haul & Tow someday maybe. Singles??? Never never never again.

So, 90% of the responses you're going to get all over the internet are going to be saying it aint worth it. 10% are going to praising the hell out of the industry. Weigh your odds before you decide what to do. I gamble, but if there's a 90% known chance that I'd lose my ass, my money is being placed on another bet. Know what I mean.

Good Luck

Thumbs Up
    HA! You are right Brisco... I'm in the mecca of RV Transporters. But here is what I've found when I talk to people in person.

They are one of three people (no real feel for what percentage of each).
    1. They are doing great - their company pays more than any other company and they tell me what the other companies are paying. Life is good and they always get a backhaul.

2. They are not doing great - the company they are with sucks, the company before that sucks... etc, etc, etc.

3. They are doing great - their company pays more than any other company and they tell me what the other companies are paying. Life is good and they always get a backhaul... AND they don't work for the same company as #1 above <grin>

Basically - I was hoping the veil of the internet would generate open, honest answers because of some "exagerated" answers I received in person.

You sure know all the places though - I was chuckling to myself the whole time.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 31
    My answer is no. Right now. At 1.10 a mile its almost impossible to make a living.

Now yes I did haul rv's for longer than most but in all honesty in the end I ended up much farther in debt than I started. I did support a family too. But until the retired guys leave the industry it will be a hard way to earn a buck.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 15
    Never hauled rvs but my math says if you ain't driving 15k a month and your not a mechanic. Ur broke...... I can say this is definately a retired job. Or a job if you a true driver. When I say true driver I mean a driver who doesn't care about a paycheck but somebody who just wants.to see all the other crazy 4 qheelers out there. I would invest my money in a taco bell franchise or something else. Unless of course your going thru a divorce or just need to get away from everybody.

My advice would be IF u make any saving money is to take that money and make double or triple payments on ur truck.

Best of luck....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6.7 Cummins 440k w/ 4 car RIP "now operating from the darkside"

Thumbs Up
    Just my .02 worth, if your truck is not paid for you will never get ahead. I have been at this for 5.5 years, my truck was paid off in less than two years. When I first started I made money starting at $1.01 per mile, fuel was a lot cheaper then. Operation cost was around 35%, now 5.5 years later operation cost is around 55% at a rate of $1.34 per mile ( I pull only Canada loads). You will never get a straight answer from RV haulers. If they are doing good they don't want you to hire on and take their loads. If they are not they blame everyone but themself. Some companies play straight but you have to find one that don't play favorites on loads just to get a fair shake ( you won't find one). When you find a company to work with be careful what you say around other driver because it will always get back to the dispatchers. I keep a running log on my trips and have seen many times I have been passed up in the rotation. Once you find out which drivers who you can trust to keep their mouth shut you can start putting this kind of information together. Just one more little bit of info there is no such thing as a backhaul. Everything is a line haul. When I don't have a trailer to move I find my own hauls to move.

Thumbs Up
    I was just wondering if any one uses central dispatch for back hauls for 5th wheel/bumper pulls? just wondering if it's worth the price you have to pay every month to them..

Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 31
    Nope. There are very rarely any on there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast