Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Haul and Tow vs. Haul (Stepdeck, lowboy, etc.)

Hi Everyone
    I am a Newbie here so please bear with me as I try to ask intelligent question/questions.
    Some RV company's only lease pickups and Haul and Tow, not lowboys. This leads me to believe there is an advantage to running a Haul and Tow vs. haul only. But my brain keeps telling me a lowboy would be more versatile. Plus the companies that do lease lowboys pay lowboys more.
    I am confused about the advantages and disadvantages to running a Haul and Tow vs. just Haul.
    I have read most post about Haul and Tow and have these questions.
    Which is more versatile? Can one haul more types of cargo than the other?
    Which gets more haul backs?
    Which is better to drive?
    Can you make more money with one then the other?
    In other words, is one better than the other?
    THANKS

A little about me. I was laid off when the refinery I'd worked at for thirty-one years closed last year. I am in a retraining program that will end in December of this year. I am trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up and think I will use my one-ton to haul RV's. If it is a fit for me I would quickly upgrade to Haul and tow or Haul only. I have hauled a three car wedge in the past so I have a little experience.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS AGAIN

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1
    The haul only guys only work part time. Its seasonal work because only smaller trailers can be hauled. I never seen a haul only guy do well. The haul and tow can throw a small rv on board and then haul a 5th wheel or large tag trailer behind.

If you are going to do multiples, forget the dually and buy a semi like Jarrett done. His semi would get 10-11 loaded and 12 empty. He always grabbed a car on the return to pay for his fuel back.

A 1 ton wont do well pulling a 53 foot low boy hauling rvs. The wind and height will make your dually have a shorter life. In the wind a dually will give you 7-8 mpg versus a well specd semi that will get 9-10 even in the worst wind conditions.

Go haul and tow or forget it, or just use the dually and do singles.

Carey

Thumbs Up
    I forgot, jarrett often hauled rvs or boats on his return trips, not cars.

Carey

Thumbs Up
    Thanks
    That clears up quite a bit. But I still have many more questions that I might need help with. I think I will be tied up with retraining until Dec. So I have some time to gather info. Maybe a trip out to Indiana might be a good way to learn more and get a feel for what is going on. The few recruiters I have talked to all push haul and tow over haul. Now I know why. Of course I always take what recruiters say with a grain of salt.
    As far as me using the one-ton, I would only consider pulling singles with that. If all went resonably well with that, I would hope to quickly move up to haul and tow.
    THANKS for the reply. It is certainly appreciated.

Thumbs Up
    I worked for Starfleet and Indiana Transport. Indiana is a great company to work with. Phil is the recruiter. Hes very talkable. Just give him a call. I quit in Aug/2010 and went to work in the oilfield of ND. But someday I will work again with these great group of people.

http://www.indianatransport.com/

Carey

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 40
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoRVHauler View Post
    I forgot, jarrett often hauled rvs or boats on his return trips, not cars.

Carey

Save the dually for single RV which 99% of the time is a one way trip and use a fleet specced class 8 semi for building a haul and tow. I made dayum good money with that red haul and tow and the guy that bought the truck from me is doing well. Talked to him today, he's put 100k on the truck and the only work he's had to do in the year he's had it was adjust the valves and replace 1 rocker arm on that CAT. The truck now has over 1.2 million miles on it. He sold the bed I built (got good money for it too) and used it to pull a step deck for a while and is now putting another haul and tow bed on it, similar to the bed I built. He has also built this style bed before on another truck he just sold. That is the only bed to build IMHO, it can load stuff nobody else can like an 11'2" tall trailer and still be under 13'6" legal max like the pic below. Flexibility with cars, boat and larger campers will keep you very busy when everyone else is sitting in the slow summer season.

I back hauled duallies, tall 4x4s, campers, boats, minivans and anything else I could fit on it and/or behind it. Sometimes I went outbound with a single trailer on the deck that paid the haul and tow rate becaue the customer didn't want a one of a kind prototype show trailer pulled on the ground behind a pickup and didn't want anything else towed behind it.

9-11 mpg loaded 13-14 empty was what I got and my buddy is pulling in similar numbers. Forget the medium duty route which a lot of guys do. Been there done that. They ain't made to run OTR, they are gutless, get worse fuel economy and are a constant maintenance & repair PITA.

I recommend you spend 6 months to a year running singles with the pickup before moving up to see if RVs is what you want to do. Because Carey and I liked it doesn't mean you will. I can't work anymore because of disabilities which is why I sold out.

Horizon Transport and Indiana Transport are who I ran for. Did well with both companies.

Last edited by pmmjarrett; 02-11-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    I've heard that hard work never killed anyone, but I say why take the chance?
    ― Ronald Reagan

Thumbs Up
    Thanks for the replies
    Every bit of information you guys can give me is very much appreciated. Already you have opened my eyes to why haul and tow is better than just haul and that a heavy truck will do better than a medium truck. I was thinking a medium truck would get better fuel mileage. I have two friends that believe a well maintained million mile heavy is better than any medium. One fellow has seven trucks running cans out of Hampton Roads. All his trucks look top notch and have about a million miles. He said he is picky when buying them but has never paid more than 10 grand.

I appreciate the suggestion of trying it for six months with the pick-up before putting more money into something that might not be a fit for me. I was thinking maybe two months. My wife trucked OTR with her first husband back in the eighties. She said she loved it the first six months. She went places and saw things she had never seen before. But once she had seen everything she wanted to see, driving became a very mundane job. I will definitely take what you fellows say as sage advice.

I will have a ton of questions as I make some decisions this year and hope you-all will not get bored with me asking. Two questions are 1) where do you get a haul and tow built? I have found both RV Transport and Hodges on line. But have not found anyone who builds the notched deck like yours. There is a Peterbuilt for sale now that has a notched deck, I thought about calling him and asking where it was built. I think you guys will probably have an answer; and 2) How big a sleeper can you have? I think my real question here is how long can your haul + tow be. I’m thinking 75 feet, and does having a small sleeper help get more loads. I myself am built for comfort, not for speed, so a larger sleeper would be a plus.

I have talked to a recruiter at Horizon, nice guy, answered all my questions, spent a lot of time with me on the phone. But he was pushing me to jump right into haul and tow and leave my one-ton behind. I will give Phil a call.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.

Thumbs Up
    Well you tell Carey from Colorado sent you. He'll remember me or Jarrett as well.

Id work on getting a passport so you have the option of running Canada. If you dont have one, apply now that way youll have it when your ready. I was in the first batch of drivers hired at Indiana. They are well over 300 now and building. They call me every winter asking me to go back. Phil and I generally talk a good while catching up on eachother. The guys at Indy are about as honest and as down home as they get. I had a great experience at Starfleet and ive heard Horizon is a good company too. Id call them all if I were you.
    Good haul and tow trucks are badly needed so they will prolly all jump on that one if you are thinkin about that. Id take Jarretts advice and do the pickup thing just to introduce the industry to you. Get to know the haul and tow guys and learn from them.

Carey