Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1
    My average was about the same as Haulins. 533 per day. I always averaged about a week off per month, which was the same as haulin taking the weekends off. If you can average 500 per day for everyday of the year you will make money hauling rvs. Thats 180k+ miles per year. Many guys ran more miles then that, and many ran less. Its all about you and what you like just like any other driving job in america. Making money driving anything is all in your hands and attitude. There is no easy driving job if you want to make money..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0
    With all that being said (thanks by the way) what would be the better avenue be to get into hook up and haul away or a haul and tow rig like Jarrett's I guess I would prefer a sleeper in a semi over climbing into a backseat of a pickup truck also if you put on 150k-180k miles a year how long would your dodge pickup actually be "reliable" enough to drive down the road hauling RV's

Also what is a CVSA sticker??

Thumbs Up
    Hell one time I left Elkhart at 7am on a wednesday. I delivered in Los Angelos, Ca. Friday morning at 10am.

How could that be done. Elkhart to Sterling, Co. on wednesday. Sterling, Co to Beaver, Ut. on thursday. Beaver, Ut. to La early friday morn.

Or leave Elkhart, at 7am. Drive to Ft. Morgan, Co. get up and deliver in denver. Elkhart to Denver in 24 hours.

This is how people make money driving. Look legal and drive!

Carey

Thumbs Up
    We had a slew of dodge trucks with 700k plus miles. My dodge didnt even burn oil at 375k miles. If your not a mechanic, owning your own truck is very tough job. Be that a semi, pickup, or any OTR truck. You must be able to make most of the repairs yourself or you will spend what you make in repairs.

CVSA Commercial Vehicle Safety Administration. State scales apply them quarterly to vehicles that passes an inspection. When they first came out with it in the 80's it was supposed to be good for 3 months. Nowdays it really doesnt mean much. They DOT the vehicles that are easy to get. RV Haulers are picked on because they dont have a legal sleeper and most RV Haulers are inexperienced OTR drivers. So they are easy prey to DOT officers.

Thumbs Up
    Carey what where the specs on your dodge???

Also not concerned with the repairs as I'm a diesel mechanic by trade

Thumbs Up
    I would suggest getting a used dodge dually. Put it to work hauling rvs. If you like this business move up to haul and tow.

You do know that RV Hauling companies take 1000 from you and some take 2000 from you. If you put as much as a scratch on the rv, they take the 1000 for repairs. If something hits the rv going down the road and you cant catch the person or vehicle that did it, you just lost 1000. You are totally responsible for the unit. If anything happens to it, it comes out of your pocket no matter if you done it or not. If anything happens its your job to catch the person who done it.

Thumbs Up
    I had a 2006 dodge 3500 ST model. It had cruise, and A/C. No other options. A bare bones work truck. Thats all I wanted. The more options that come on a truck requires more of my time to repair was my motto. Well still is. I like to work in a work truck. I paid 25k for it used with 25k miles. It was a lease return from a power company.

There are a ton of used trucks out there. Grab something in the 75k mile range and youll be good.

Thumbs Up
    Yes I'm familiar with the repair fund.....did you have a 4x4 truck or a 2x4 also can a guy use a Cab and Chassis truck and throw a sleeper on the frame and put a flatbed behind that or is that not acceptable to the companies???

Thumbs Up
    You can do anything you want.

It costs only you! You need to concentrate on back haul fuel mpg. A cab n chassis with a sleeper will get 13mpg empty. My 4x4 dually got 16.5 empty. I am going to build a new truck soon. Im going to get one bought and custom build it for mpg.

The smart guys buy a 2500 2x4.

Since I live and run west I have to have 4x4. Thats hurts me.

Im going to build a new 3.42 geared Dodge. With all the deletes. Im going to switch to 17.5 rims and tires so I can scale 8500 on the rear axle. And do some other mods.

If you can get 20mpg at 65mph empty you will kick ass hauling rvs. I know it can be done. Im going to play with the idea just for fun. Someday when the oil field quits Ill jump back into it. Till then I use the truck for trips with the family. I have a ton of ideas Id like to implement for mpg. Even if I dont go back to hauling rvs I can still have fun building a truck cause Ill use it anyway.

Thumbs Up
    Ive thought real hard into buying a dually and then use 17.5 wheels and make it a super single dually. A dually gets .8 to 1 mpg less than a single tire truck

There are 17.5 tires available that would allow you to scale 10-12k on an axle. 19.5 rims and tires weigh too much and hurt mpg. 17.5s on good alum rims end up weighing fairly close to factory wheels and tires. Anyway Ive got some cool ideas in my head. I have the money to play now... Im doin it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast