Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

26000 lbs and under

So if I run 26000 lbs and under I still have to get trip permits in certain states??? I went down in weight from a semi truck for 35 years and counting to this setup because I thought it would be less B.S.
    Plan on running where the buck is.
    Im new here so any help would be great.
    Thanks oldharleyrider

Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 6
    What do you mean by trip permits? If you plate at 26k, you should be able to travel all states (there are a handful that will require a separate registration, or permit - NM, OR, etc..) If you haul small cars, you could possibly keep it under 26k, but more realistically around 32k is where you would want to be to ensure your not going to get pinched on the occasional load. its really not that big of a deal to go above 26k.
    CGT Inc. is a Dexter Axle service provider. Parts, labor, complete axle beams. Call for a quote. Full service wiring for trucks and trailers, featuring Maxxima lighting products. Service for electric brakes, air brakes, trucks and trailers. A/C recharging and leak detection. Member NATM

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2
    The only extras are IRP and IFTA... Right??? To be honest. I dispatch for a guy that stays under 26K and it is hard sometime. Most of the time I can fit 3 but there are sometime when he can only run with 2. Put one good size truck or SUV on there and your only getting one other SMALL car. With him I have about 12k worth of cargo to play with. He's got a Dodge Dually and a Big Tex wedge. Plus you have to figure looking at the curb weight isn't all that accurate. There are some many differnt models of every car and weight can vary. Brokers don't always give you the EXACT model. Then you have to think about any fuel that may be in the cars and whatever the customer is trying to shove in there. It's way more of a headache than IRP and IFTA.

Thumbs Up
    Got rid of all the unneccesary stuff. I have taken the bed off, have installed lightweight full fenders. So far have cut about 1350 lbs off weight of truck, plus I have a mesh deck 50 footer that weighs in around 5600 lbs. this combo should work well. We will see. You might have a good point.
    Basically, Ive gained about a half a car in weight savings. Plus big time fuel savings.

Thumbs Up
    I am thinking the bs will be the same because you are still going to be a commercial driver and you may still have to stop at the scales depending on the state and obey all the rules and regs as you would in a semi.

If you are being paid to transport anything you are for hire and subject to the same rules from what I have found out.

You will still need to have the tow vehicle and trailer inspected as well as you dot physical needs to be kept up to date.

You will / may need to keep a log book too.

Please correct me if I am wrong but this is just what I have been told if I haul rv's, boats, cars.

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 31
    Under 26k or not you follow all the same rules as over. You are just avoiding cdl, ifta, and apportioned plates.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 20
    You will play hell trying to stay under 26k and make decent $$$. When I was hauling with my 44' enclosed trailer with two cars inside I was rarely under 26k. Most of the time I was closer to 30k. It's not worth it to try to stay under 26k.
    Dragging oil field equipment into the middle of nowhere
    DelmarExpTrans@gmail.com

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Motownfire View Post
    You will play hell trying to stay under 26k and make decent $$$. When I was hauling with my 44' enclosed trailer with two cars inside I was rarely under 26k. Most of the time I was closer to 30k. It's not worth it to try to stay under 26k.
    This is true, but that trailer your pulling weighs probably twice what my kaufman weighs. I just gained one small car. Plus your bed weight -+ 1300.
    I think your somewhere around 5000 lbs heavier than I.
    Your point well taken though.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 12
    I think you are wildly over estimating the weight of your bed. I took the bed off of my 04 Duramax (granted the bedsides are fiberglass) and I gained just under 800 lbs.

That's losing the bed, tailgate, and rear bumper and replacing them with 18 lbs worth of stuff... LED lights, plastic fenders, and patented redneck fence post mounts (send Tosch $3.11 in royalties if you want to used his fence design!)
    >>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<<<>>>>>
    Make a liar out of me...
    >>>>>>>It's SO easy...
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Send me a check...
    >>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<<<>>>>>

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 20
    My enclosed trailer weighs 7100lbs empty.
    Dragging oil field equipment into the middle of nowhere
    DelmarExpTrans@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast